BC Health Regulators (BCHR) brings all 19 health profession regulators – known as health regulatory colleges – in British Columbia together, providing an administrative and organizational foundation for collaboration between the colleges. Our shared mandate is to serve and protect all British Columbians, ensuring regulated health care providers deliver qualified, safe, and ethical care to their patients and clients.
BCHR brings together BC’s health regulatory colleges to collaborate on improving regulation and regulatory practice across our organizations.
Our activities focus on four main objectives:
- Building a consistent regulatory approach among health profession regulators;
- Providing relevant education to support regulatory college staffs and boards in their work;
- Providing regulatory leadership and expertise to improve and advance regulatory practice; and
- Building BCHR’s effectiveness and sustainability for supporting our collaborative efforts.
The BCHR Executive Committee consists of the Registrars for the following health regulatory colleges:
- Cynthia Johansen, BC College of Nurses and Midwives, Chair
- Kathy Corbett, College of Occupational Therapists of BC, Vice-Chair
- Andrea Kowaz, College of Psychologists of BC, Secretary
- Heidi Oetter, College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC, Treasurer
- Eric Wredenhagen, College of Massage Therapists of BC, Director at Large
On August 27, 2020, the BC Ministry of Health announced a plan to modernize and strengthen the province’s health regulatory system. Find out more about regulatory modernization in BC, and read the latest news on how health profession regulators are evolving.