The latest information about BCHR activities, news items from health regulatory colleges, and updates on the evolving system of health profession regulation in British Columbia.
- BCHR welcomes report from investigation into Indigenous-specific racism November 30, 2020 BCHR is committed to working with the Ministry of Health and other partners to consider the recommendations and take action to support changes in the health care system. Read more
- BCHR supports government response to systemic racism in health October 14, 2020 As health regulators with a duty to protect patients, we seek to learn more about the nature and extent of racist behaviour directed at Indigenous peoples in our health system. Read more
- Newly completed amalgamations reduce number of BC’s health regulatory colleges from 21 to 19 September 2, 2020 These changes are in line with the Ministry of Health’s focus on modernizing the health regulation system and reducing the number of colleges overall. Read more
- Dental colleges collaborate to develop a single oral health regulatory college September 2, 2020 A new College of Oral Health Professionals will oversee all six of BC’s regulated oral health professions, currently served by four colleges. Read more
- Provincial government releases final recommendations for health profession regulation August 27, 2020 The recommendations are part of a new report focused on modernizing BC’s health profession regulatory framework, impacting all health profession regulatory colleges. Read more
- BC Court of Appeal decision significant for regulated health professionals’ use of reserved titles August 11, 2020 The BC Court of Appeal has ruled that Pashta MaryMoon cannot use the title “death midwife” to describe her services. This decision is significant for all BCHR colleges. Read more
- Addressing Racism investigation launches new survey for health care workers July 31, 2020 An online survey has been launched inviting BC health care workers to share their experiences of discrimination in health care services. Read more
- Pride 2020 opportunity to reflect on health professionals’ duty to ensure safe, effective care July 24, 2020 An article from the College of Pharmacists of BC explores the challenges faced by the 2SLGBTQ+ community within the health system and how health professionals can ensure more equitable access to safe, effective care. Read more
- New resource will provide valuable public input for BC’s health regulatory colleges July 24, 2020 The BC Public Advisory Network (BC-PAN) is a new resource for BC health regulatory colleges, enabling them to seek meaningful public engagement on important issues related to health regulation. Read more
- Health care professionals encouraged to contribute to investigation into Indigenous-specific racism July 10, 2020 Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond provided details about her investigation into Indigenous-specific racism in BC’s health care system on July 9, noting that the participation of health care professionals is a critical component. Read more
BCHR manages a number of educational events to increase regulation-related knowledge and skills among the staffs and boards of health regulatory colleges.
There are no events scheduled at this time.